Friday, April 8, 2011

Do you lock your doors?

Not only do I lock my doors, but I also have a security system on all my doors and windows.

But as Boomers we didn't live like that as kids. In my neighborhood, the doors were always unlocked (even at night), and everyone felt safe.  But were we?

I haven't figured out whether crime has actually escalated or whether the media has just made us more aware of it.  Were there serial killers in 1960? Of course there were, but perhaps not as many.

I believe the media has contributed to not only the awareness of crime but also to its escalation. People with tendencies to kill have fed off media coverage of others who have done so. They go forward because they want their 15 minutes.

In regard to petty crime, like home invasion for theft, I don't think it's the media. I think it's a recent disregard for respect of property.  And no, it's not the economy. We've had bad economies before.

So no, I don't have a solution. I just keep my doors locked and my alarm system on and hope that nothing bad will happen. And if it does, I have a three-pound Yorkie who will surely protect me.

No comments:

Post a Comment