Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Cards on the Table

Okay, I tend to alienate people when I am candid, so we might as well get it over with. This is MY Boomer Blog, so you might as well know where I'm coming from.

So here it is:

I don't like Affirmative Action.  No, I didn't say I don't believe in it.  I said I don't like it. Here's why.

First of all, I think it's outlived its purpose. I'm not going to elaborate on that.

Second, I believe there are minorities that don't get represented by Affirmative Action. There are WAY more minorities than blacks and Hispanics, but those are seldom represented.

Third, I believe in an alternative:  blind hiring; blind selecting.  I don't think race, religion or anything else should be taken into consideration when hiring, or when selecting students for college, etc. It should be BLIND. That's true no bias. Affirmative action does the opposite. It forces employers and schools to select minorities over non minorities (which don't exist). It's reverse discrimination.

Blind.  That's the key.

Mel

No comments:

Post a Comment